Archive for the ‘ Projects ’ Category

Delirium: A Postmortem

Roughly two years ago, I began work on a project that would later become known as “Delirium.” The project was intended to be a 2D horror platformer made in XNA, and over the course of its development, was featured in university publications and sponsored by our university to attend GDC in hopes of showing off the game. Despite the wonderful efforts of the team and all of the hard work we put into the game, it was never released past an early demo, and the project ultimately ended in May of 2012. Although this post is long overdue, I chose not to write up a postmortem until the realizations of our successes, failures, and what we learned had fully sunk in. The following write-up will examine what exactly the Delirium team did right and wrong, why the project failed, and what we can take away from it all, even a year later.

 

team_delirium

 

Continue reading

Advertisements

Creating a Card Game: From Start to Finish

I’ve been pretty busy this month with two projects: Tragedia and Prehysteria. While you might recognize the name “Prehysteria” from an early blog post, this is an entirely new project that has nothing to do with that design document. This Prehysteria is a silly, dinosaur-themed competitive cooperative card game, and for today’s post, I’m going to take you through the process I’ve used, and am using, to create it.

 

Keep reading to learn more about creating card games!

Continue reading

The Making of Tragedia: Dungeon Design

This post is part of “the Making of Tragedia” series. Tragedia is a classic-style role-playing game I am currently developing in RPG Maker VX. You can learn more about the game and download the demo at the Tragedia website.

 

 

As I began to create new dungeons for Tragedia, I realized that there is a surprising lack of information online about 2D dungeon design. For any 2D game that features dungeons, these levels have extremely important puzzle and combat elements, so why are we not talking about them? In this post, I’m going to take you through my design process for the dungeons in Tragedia, as well as provide tips for creating your own dungeons.

 

Continue reading

The Making of Tragedia: Crafting an Immersive Story

As this marks the first post in my “the Making of Tragedia” series, I thought it appropriate to begin with the game’s story, as that is where I began in my development. But first, a quick introduction of the game itself. Tragedia is a classic-style role-playing game that I have been working on for a few months now. It is being developed in RPG Maker VX, which has proven to be a wonderful tool that allows me to primarily focus on the game’s design and story. For this post, I won’t be discussing any specifics for the story, so no need to worry about spoiling the game if you plan on playing it later.

 

Continue reading

Starting and Maintaining Your Own Game Project: Part 2

A while back, I posted part one of two on starting and maintaining your own game project, so now the time has come for part two! Part one was all about starting up a project, but part two is more about the maintenance side of things. This post will focus on ways of setting up and organizing a schedule, communicating with your team, keeping your team motivated, and tips for dealing with common problems I’ve come across during my work on Delirium. If you missed part one, you can find it here: Project Planning and Team Recruitment.

 

Continue reading

Starting and Maintaining Your Own Game Project: Part 1

As you probably know, I’ve been rather busy working on my game project, Delirium. (Don’t worry, I’m still working on those UDK videos, too!) We’re currently preparing for an upcoming pitch for possible sponsorship to GDC, but I thought I’d do a post about what it’s like to start up your own game project, and, more importantly, keep it running. This post marks part one of the guide, which details project planning and team recruitment. This will mostly be a guide for anyone who hasn’t started their own project before, but it will also include some helpful tips that I’ve learned through my own experiences.

 

Continue reading

Game Project and GDC Online

Before I get back to more regular postings, I wanted to say sorry for being so behind lately! I’ve been hard at work on my new horror game project, but now that things are settling down a bit more, I have more time to post here and work on more videos. I also just got back from GDC Online in Austin a few days ago, which means I’ll start posting my “What I Learned at GDC” series again! I’ve also got several UDK workshop videos that have been sitting on the backburner, so I’ll get to work on those soon, too!

 

 

 

 

For those of you who might be interested, I’ve assembled a team of about ten to fifteen people to work on a 2D horror game called “Delirium.” We’ve been working on the game for a little over a month now, and will have the first two levels working by the end of this month! We’ve started a development blog for the game, which you can check out here: www.deliriumgame.wordpress.com . The rest of the team and myself will be posting about our progress on the game there, so be sure to check it out from time to time! Thanks for your support!